Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ultimatum FAIL

So, I didn't make it.

I didn't even come that close, actually.  Here's what happened:  The week after I posted my self-imposed deadline, I made some good progress.  I got the three 'jacks completely assembled and primed, so at least there's that.

Assembly wasn't as trivial a task as it may sound.  I'm pretty compulsive about pinning (practically) all of the joints on these models, so that's a lot of drilling.  Plus, I spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to best attach some Litko magnetic base bottoms to the bases.  I haven't used those before, and they were really stumping me there for a while. Finally, I was following the BrushThralls tutorial and using green stuff to try to replicate the cracked earth look from the (earlier) studio models.  Now I don't for a second mean to imply that's any kind of major sculpting work or whatever, but it took me a while to get the hang of it.  Green stuff and I aren't exactly BFFs.  So, yes:  it was just assembly.  But I was feeling pretty satisfied with myself when I got it done.

The wheels came off the tracks right after I got the guys primed, though.  I had high hopes for that first weekend.  My last completed painting project came together when I got to devote a bunch of time over a weekend to it, and I wanted to replicate that experience.  Didn't happen.  Long story short:  a couple of real world events intervened, and (despite my best intentions) I simply wasn't able to touch the models at all that Saturday or Sunday.  That sapped my will to work on them, and there they sat, and then the deadline passed, and that was that.

I just cannot find the motivation to complete this project, or any other painting, for that matter.  So, I've decided to stop trying to force it and give it a rest for a while.  I honestly don't know when I'll get back to them.  I do know this:  I'm not spending another nickel on miniatures, any miniatures, until I get to a point where I can get something painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment