Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I can explain everything

Remember that rant about not buying new stuff (no matter how pretty) while I've got so many other projects already hanging over my head?  Remember how I resolved to resist that urge and focus on the things I already have?

OK, yes.  Yes, that is mine.  Yes, I did buy it and it came in the mail a couple of days ago.  But I can explain everything.

I remain totally committed to the concept of resistance!  In fact, I may very well be resistier right now than I was when I first made my Declaration of Resistance.  I'm so resistant that I put Ohmmeters in my general vicinity at risk of literally exploding.

But here's the thing:  one still browses eBay, doesn't one?  And surely, one looks at listings for things in which one is interested?  And one occasionally finds bargains?  And, when one finds such a bargain -- say, a $35 book (that one desperately covets) for $10 -- wouldn't it be irresponsible for one NOT to buy it?

Seriously, it was a little too good a deal to pass up, and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it.  It's a beautiful book, well made and lavishly illustrated.  I've enjoyed thumbing through it and getting at least a glancing familiarity with the ruleset.  But -- and this is why I don't feel bad about the purchase -- I have no intention of jumping into it as a full-scale hobby any time in the near future.  So, on one hand, yes:  I did buy a new game that I was trying to hold out on.  But on the other, it's just a $10 book, not $100+ of unpainted lead.  Maybe next year?  In the meantime, I might pick up an army book or two, but no miniatures, and that's the real key.

No comments:

Post a Comment