Friday, January 8, 2010

Not dead yet!

So, every so often, I have a relapse.

I am speaking, in this instance, of my weakness for MMORPGs generally and World of Warcraft specifically.  There is something in the nature of these games that grabs me right at the core of my psyche.

So, anyway, very shortly after my last post back in November, I re-activated my WoW account, which had been dormant for almost exactly a year at the time.  Picked a particular character, a mid-30's Tauren Hunter, and started playing him.  And playing.  And playing.   Got him up to 70 (my level cap, since I don't own the latest expansion) and kept playing and playing and playing.

It is absolutely no exaggeration to say that immediately after restarting my account, all I wanted to do was play WoW.  That's the way these games work on me.  When I'm playing them, they consume literally every second of my leisure time -- I don't want to do anything else.  (I haven't picked up a paintbrush, for example, since I finished my last batch of tanks.)  I certainly don't want to write blog posts.

But, then Christmas came, and you know how that goes.  I had to scale back my playing considerably due to all the holiday-related shenanigans.  Plus, I was out of town (and thus, completely cold turkey) for a few days.  And here's the funny thing about the way these games work on me:  when I'm playing, all I want to do is play; but when I can't play all the time, don't really want to play at all.  If you follow me.

So, bottom line:  Christmas kind of killed it for me.  I've barely played since the out-of-town trip I mentioned and I'm completely cool with that.  I've turned a big part of my attention back to "real" games.  There are a couple of things coming up that I'm really excited about (including, especially, a UPS package that's scheduled to arrive today!), and I plan to write more about them soon.  Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment