Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thieving monkeys


We kicked off a new Pathfinder campaign at the Monkey Den last night.  Joe is GMing the Council of Thieves adventure path.  This is our second attempt at an adventure path -- we started Rise of the Runelords a year or so ago, but decided to give that up in favor of Pathfinder Society.

I am playing somewhat against type and running a rogue in this campaign.  I say "against type" because I'm generally a game mechanics kind of guy (I'm a wargamer, after all) but I'm going to try to approach this as more of a role playing experience.  My character is an actor, and thinks of himself as such (rather than as a "rogue" or an "adventurer").  His highest stat is Charisma, and I'm planning on keeping all of his social skills (especially Bluff!) maxed out, even if I have to skimp on the thievery.  (I'll keep Perception and Disable Device maxed though.)  Again, this will be a new experience for me, so we'll see.

Our first session went pretty well, I thought.  We spent the majority of it fleeing through Westcrown's elaborate sewer system with a pack of Hell Knights on our tails.  We had a nice mix of RP (pre-sewer fleeing) and combat, so that was good. Joe has really outdone himself in one regard:  all of the combat action took place on elaborate 3D terrain that he bought from WorldWorks Games and assembled for this campaign.  I'm a huge eye candy fan, I admit it, so that kind of thing really adds to my enjoyment.

Despite what I said above about focusing on the RP rather than mechanics aspect of my character, I was delighted by the fact that I had a great night in combat.  I have a bit of a reputation for runs of less than stellar luck with a d20, let's just say.  Last night it was really clicking though.  It seemed like I was dropping a badguy on practically every turn.  Here's hoping that trend continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment