Thursday, February 25, 2010

I think I'm in love

Last night was game night at the Monkey Den -- the first in three weeks that wasn't snowed out.  We took a break from the RPG scene and gave my copy of Nexus Ops its maiden voyage.

In short:  it rocks.

In slightly-less-short:  What a delightful, delightful game.  I had high hopes for it, and they were met or exceeded.  This is pretty much exactly what I want to be playing right now.  It's light, but not flimsy; fast, but not frantic.  It's fun to look at, fun to play -- just fun.  I cannot imagine why this wasn't a huge commercial success.

I say all of the above even though I got pummeled last night.  Joe F. won with 12 VP's before anyone else had half that many (I think).  It seems like he was burying us under Special Mission cards right from the first turn.  I felt like I was doing OK -- I held the monolith most of the game -- but I guess I wasn't aggressive enough.

Anyway, I can't wait to play this again.  I think I'm going to try a two-player game with Mrs. Greywing sometime soon and see how that works.  I know it will be a very different experience with two instead of four, but I'm hoping we find it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment